A digital piano is known by various names like a piano synthesizer, portable piano, etc. It is an electronic music instrument. A digital piano uses electronic sound chips and speakers to produce the sound. Acoustic pianos are the traditional keyboards that use the natural acoustics of the metal strings to create music. To find out more about the difference between digital and acoustic pianos check out musicweek.com
Digital pianos are useful for an inexperienced person or music lovers who have just started out to learn music. Digital pianos have lit keys which help beginners. Once you have gained some experience playing the piano, the digital piano does not offer a lot of variety. It lacks the touch of the more traditional acoustic piano. An acoustic piano has strings while the digital ones do not. For an experienced pianist, you can make out the difference between synthetically generated music of a digital piano with that of a more soulful and emotional fell of acoustic piano.
If you are investing on a piano to learn the art seriously, think about spending on an acoustic piano. Most teachers will not teach on a digital piano after reaching a certain level. Digital pianos are not useful if you are keen on learning technique and finesse. Learning technique on a digital piano and later translating it to the acoustic piano is difficult.
Buying an acoustic piano is more value for money than a digital piano. An acoustic piano can last a long time and can be handed over to the next generation, whereas a digital piano lasts only for a few years.
Some of the features that make digital piano attractive are:
1. It can generate different types of piano sounds and instrument sounds.
2. Does not need tuning
3. Can record performances and since it is digital, it can communicate with other electronic music
4. Availability of headphones for practice in private
5. Unlike Acoustic Piano, it can be easily carried as it is light weight
6. Digital piano is a great option if you have space constraints but still, want to play the piano. A portable digital piano occupies very less space when compared to an acoustic piano.
7. With the help of a computer, you can run software synthesizers which generate digital audio. The digital piano acts as a master keyboard, and the synthesizer generates the required sound.
Features that make acoustic piano attractive
Acoustic pianos sound better when compared to digital pianos. Digital pianos are getting better each day in the music category, but an acoustic piano is still the best. The sound coming from an acoustic piano is richer and more authentic than a digital piano. If you plan to study and play classical music, it is better to buy an acoustic piano.
If you are an experienced pianist or someone who intends to the piano for a long time or has an understanding of music and continue to study more investing on an acoustic piano will be an advantage regarding future investment.
Regardless of whether you choose digital or acoustic piano, prioritize on the feel and touch.